Next weekend men and women all over the world will be celebrating their mothers. And while you can spend days searching for the perfect Mother’s Day gift perhaps you should consider throwing your mom a special Mother’s Day tea party instead? It’s inexpensive and all of the food can be made from scratch, which will surely score you some extra brownie points.
Here's a fun tea-infused dessert to try for an earl grey tea layered mini cake with tea infused frosting that’s extremely easy to make.
– 7 Tbsp. Loose-leaf For Tea’s Sake Shades of Earl Grey Tea
– 7 Tbsp. Loose-leaf For Tea’s Sake Let’s Go Green Jasmine Tea
– 2 Boxes plain cake mix
– Vegetable oil (amount specified by cake mix)
– Eggs (amount specified by cake mix)
– 1 Can vanilla frosting
– Confectioner’s sugar
1. Based on how much water your cake mix requires (example 2 cups) steep tea bags to the strength of your preference in the amount of required water. Let tea cool in the fridge.
2. When the tea is steeped to taste, preheat your oven according to the cake mix instructions.
3. Mix together eggs, oil and cake mix according to the cake mix instructions, substituting Earl Grey or green tea for water. Reserve extra tea and set aside.
4. Pour the mix into two 9-inch baking rounds and bake according to the box.
5. While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting: Split the frosting into two medium sized bowls. Add different tea concentrates to each bowl and beat with a mixer until thick. If frosting becomes watery, add small amounts of confectioner’s sugar to thicken.
6. When the cakes are done baking, let cool then freeze for about 10 minutes, until the cake is no longer soft.
7. Using a cookie cutter, stamp out circles from the cake. Then take the cake rounds and cut them into top and bottom halves.
8. Frost one half, then top with the other half like a sandwich. Frost the top of the “sandwich”, decorate with sprinkles and serve.